Tuesday 23 April 2019

Disputes and Appeals

If you are unhappy with a decision about your pension benefits, you should first of all contact Suzanne Firth, Principal Pensions Officer who will try to resolve the situation, informally and as quickly as possible.  Your former employer may be contacted if necessary. 

If you are still unhappy, you have the right to have your complaint independently reviewed under the Internal Dispute Resolution Procedure (IDRP) and details will be sent to you.  Please note that if your dispute has already become the subject of proceedings in any court or tribunal, then Under the Pensions Act 1995 you cannot use the IDRP to resolve your dispute.

The IDRP is a 2 stage process. 

Stage 1. 

You must complete and return your  Stage 1 IDRP application form to the East Riding Pension Fund documenting details of your complaint, and enclosing any documentation you may feel relevant.  This must be done within 6 months of the date of the notification of the decision you wish to make a complaint about.  Your complaint may be directed at your employer, former employer or the East Riding Pension Fund, this will be assessed and the details of your case will be forwarded to the relevant adjudicator whose role is to consider your complaint carefully. You will receive an acknowledgement containing details of the adjudicator and expected timescale for completion. 

If on receipt of the final response from the adjudicator you are still unhappy, your complaint can be progressed to Stage 2.

Stage 2. 

You must complete and return your Stage 2 IDRP application form to the East Riding Pension Fund setting out clearly why you are unhappy with the decision made by the Stage 1 adjudicator. This must be done within 6 months of their decision.

Go to the next page